I love mince pies but only homemade ones or the ones you can buy in the supermarket bakery. This time of year I always make a few batches of mince pies, jam tarts and lemon curd tarts. I usually just cheat and buy ready made pastry to save time and because I have always thought making my own pastry would be difficult. This year I have made my own pastry, how good is that!
I googled short crust pastry recipes and was actually surprised at how easy it seemed and I always have a supply of the ingredients you need to make it. Homemade pastry…Soooo much better than shop brought. Oh my goodness it’s so delicious.
Now, I am no Mary Berry but I do love baking and I wanted to share with you guys the recipe I used to make my mince pies. I am already on my third batch, they seem to go down well with my family and Fletcher!
So here’s what you will need:
300g plain flour
50g icing sugar
Jar of mince meat
Here’s how to make the mince pies:
1. Place the flour, butter and icing sugar in a bowl and mix together until it forms into a breadcrumb like mixture (This can get real messy! I use a wooden spoon for this bit).
2. Using your hands bind the mixture together until it’s like a dough consistency, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
3. Heat the oven to 220 degrees and grease the tin.
4. Dust the work surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out the pastry until it is about 5mm thick.
5. Using a circle pastry cutter cut out 24 bases, put them into the tray and fill each one with 1tsp of mince meat.
6. Reroll the pastry to cut any shape lid you’d like (I use a star or a Christmas tree) and then place on top of the mince meat.
7. Glaze each pie with a beaten egg and then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
8. Leave to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the tray and lightly dust with icing sugar before serving.
If you want to make jam or lemon curd tarts, follow the same recipe but instead of using mince meat use any jam or lemon curd.